Wednesday, 2 May 2012

How to say 'when'


There are three words in German that can be translated with when:
wenn, als und wann.

wenn           - if or when or whenever
                    - is used to refer to the present, future or a habitual action
                      in the past (rare)

Beispiel - Example:
Wenn ich Zeit habe, gehe ich ins Kino.        
When/whenever/if I have time, I go to the cinema.

Wenn das Wetter schön ist, werden wir ein Picknick machen.
If the weather is nice, we will have a picknick.

Wenn ich in Deutschland war, habe ich immer Bratwurst gegessen.
When I was in Germany, I always had fried sausage. (habitual action in the past)

als               - when
                    - refers to actions in the past

Beispiel - Example:
Als ich jünger war, habe ich keine bananen gegessen.
When I was younger, I didn’t eat bananas.

Als ich nach Hause kam, habe ich ferngesehen.
When I got home, I watched TV.

wann           - interrogative introducing a question starting with when
                    - present, past or future tenses

Beispiel - Example:
Wann beginnt der Film?
When does the movie start?

Wann wirst du in Urlaub fahren?
When are you going on holiday?

Wann ist er nach Hause gekommen?
When did he get home?

No comments:

Post a Comment